Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sequence of Events Activity

Sequence of Events

My students were really struggling with sequence of events. We focused on transition words, read and reread stories, organized the events in a thinking map, but they were still having some trouble.
Today, I made a story and then cut it up into strips. I picked 3 team captains and gave each group an envelope containing the story strips. (They all had the same story)
IT WORKED!!1
I think giving the students the opportunity to manipulate the text and move things around, really clicked with them. They were forced to rely on the transition words, and had to pay close attention to the details to put the story back in order.
The story turned out to be a funny tale of our entire class going to the beach, ending with me jumping out of an airplane. They LOVED it!

Try it out in your class and see what happens!










 Check out all of my sequence of events activities here!

xo

Mrs. O’Brien


16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness- my class is having the hardest time with this as well! This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Try it out. They worked so well together and it really made them rely on transitions and details! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea Naomi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, when I click on the link it takes me to a figurative languague packet. In the packet, is this where these resources are located?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these activities but I had the same problem! Did you every track down the sequencing activity materials?

      Delete
  5. love it! how do I get the materials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great help for reading class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This is AMAZING Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete